Make Your Immune System Stronger with These Tips
Healthy Aging | 09/10/20
From the common cold to the current COVID-19 pandemic, it’s an unfortunate reality that illness is a part of our lives. Our immune systems are made of organs, cells and proteins in our bodies that work together to attack against invaders such as bacteria, fungi and viruses.
While the immune system begins to naturally decline as we age, there are thankfully a few ways for you to naturally enhance your immune system and help your body be better equipped to fight off illness.
7 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Maintain a balanced diet. You may hear this frequently when it comes to the overall health of your body, and this still holds true when it comes to having a strong immune system: a healthy diet is key to a healthy body. A healthy diet consists fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy and lean protein. This isn’t to say you can’t say no to the occasional dessert – just make sure that saturated fats and sugars don’t make up the majority of the foods you eat.
- Stay properly hydrated. Water plays a multitude of roles in your body, one of which is supporting your immune system. There is a fluid in your circulatory system called lymph, which carries infection-fighting immune cells around your body and is largely made up of water. By drinking 8 ounces of water a day, you’re giving your body the boost it needs to fight infections.
- Maintain proper hygiene. Personal hygiene is how you care for your body. Good personal hygiene is important for numerous reasons, including stopping the spread of illnesses and diseases and reducing your risk of medical conditions that result from poor personal hygiene. You can maintain good personal hygiene by washing your hands, bathing, taking care of your teeth and cleaning your clothes.
- Get restful sleep. Did you know that infection-fighting molecules are being created when you sleep? Adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night for optimal wellness.
- Don’t smoke, and drink alcohol in moderation. Smoking and drinking in excess harms the immune system and can make the body less successful at fighting diseases.
- Minimize stress. Stress can have a negative impact on our bodies and immune systems. When you’re stressed, your body responds by creating a stress response, which suppresses your immune system and increases your chance of illness. Stress relief methods such as meditation or yoga can help you healthfully manage tough times.
- Consider supplements. Certain vitamins are proven to help your immune system fight off illnesses. Perhaps the biggest immune booster is vitamin C. In fact, a lack of vitamin C can even make you prone to more illness. Other vitamins you should include in your diet are B6 and E. As always, discuss with your doctor before adding supplements into your routine.
Learn How to Make Your Immune System Stronger and More at Monroe Village
At Monroe Village, we want you to live the healthiest lifestyle you possibly can. To help you achieve your wellness goals, we’ve created a holistic wellness program called LivWell. LivWell isn’t a requirement within the community, but instead a personal choice as to what activities and amenities you’re interested in. Whether the goal is to boost your immune system, improve your diet or to dance at your granddaughter’s wedding, there are a host of onsite opportunities that give every person the chance to enhance their journey to wellness.
Have questions? We’re here to help. Contact our team to learn more about the LivWell program offered in our community or schedule an in-person or virtual tour today.