Why Location Matters When Choosing a Retirement CommunityApril 4, 2021
In every decade of your life, your lifestyle priorities tend to shift a bit. And typically, you look for places to settle that match those priorities. In your youth, maybe that meant living in the big city. If you had children, you wanted to live near good schools. Now that you’re in (or close to) your retirement years, it’s time to create a new lifestyle and find the perfect retirement community to match.
So what’s the best way begin your search? Keep in mind that considering location for retirement communities is important. It really does pay to follow the adage, “location, location, location.” Of course, you want a comfortable, well-appointed home. But it’s equally important to ensure that the city or town you’ve selected meets all your needs and expectations for the best retirement life.
Here’s a short checklist of questions to consider:
- Is it close to things you enjoy (parks, shopping, culture, entertainment, dining)? Moving to a retirement community should mean being surrounded by everything you love about life. If a daily stroll for a cup of Joe is your thing, seek a location with a good walkability factor. If you like to dine out and go to movies, how close by are restaurants and attractions? Quality senior living communities like Monroe Village typically offer free shuttles to shopping, appointments, etc. If you have a car, ask about ample on-site parking for residents.
- How important is proximity to family? If you’re used to having family just a short drive from home or expect you’ll want this support system as you age, focus your retirement community search on familiar territory. If you’re ready to try a new town and spread your wings, a heart-to-heart talk with your family will likely help all of you feel comfortable with the fact that you want to explore living elsewhere.
- Is it convenient to medical care and hospitals — as well as a veterinary clinic if you have pets? It’s easy to be mesmerized by a retirement community’s serene, beautiful setting away from the hustle and bustle of the city — but be realistic. You don’t want to be traveling long distances for every doctor’s appointment or to get to the hospital in an emergency. If you have a pet, you’ll also want to be near a good vet clinic (and possibly an emergency vet clinic) when you need one.
- Is the state you’re considering tax-friendly for seniors? You might be surprised to learn that some states are “friendlier” than others when it comes to taxing seniors, including New Jersey where Monroe Village is located. Thirteen states tax your Social Security income, and state tax laws also differ on taxing pensions and withdrawals from retirement accounts. Keep these factors in mind as you explore new places to retire.
- How is the cost of living in the city where the community is located? Travelers are often surprised to find that a gallon of gas doesn’t cost the same everywhere. Same with groceries, movies, dining, etc. It’s easy to go online to check the cost of living in any location you’re considering, so be sure to do that to help narrow your search.
- How accessible is it to airports, public transit and major highways? It’s no fun to have to drive two hours to reach the nearest airport or train station, or to discover Uber or taxi service isn’t available where you live. If getting out and about is important to you, look for a community like Monroe Village with accessibility to what you need.
- Is the community maintenance-free so you don’t have to deal with upkeep? You’ve paid your mowing and fix-it dues, it’s time to let someone else take care of it! At Monroe Village, you can leave the chores to us. As you search for retirement communities, be sure to ask if they are maintenance-free.
- If out-of-town family comes to visit, will there be fun things to see and do — and a hotel nearby where they can stay? You want to show your family a good time, especially the grandkids — so get a feel for what the location has available in terms of age-appropriate attractions and activities. Also confirm there are a few hotel options close to your community to make the visit especially welcoming.
Monroe Village Could Be Just What You’re Looking For.
If you’re looking for a senior living experience with an active, engaging lifestyle located in one of New Jersey’s most welcoming towns, Monroe Village might just be the new home you’ve been searching for. In addition to offering all the benefits of independent living, Monroe Village is a Life Plan Community designed to meet your needs as you age with on-site medical care and additional living options. We’d love to show you everything we have to offer within our community and around the city. Simple complete the request form, and one of our sales counselors will get back to you shortly to arrange a tour and a meal on us! We look forward to meeting you.