Breathe in…Breathe Out: Stress Relief for SeniorsSeptember 24, 2020
We’ve all dealt with stress — it’s a natural part of life. However, when we leave it uncurbed, it can lead to negative outcomes for our mental health, physical health and behavior. Adding relaxing activities and peaceful routines to our lives is an important part of combating stress. Below, learn all about stress relief tips and the restorative amenities at Monroe for a stress-free lifestyle.
4 Easy Stress Relief Tips
There are many ways to manage stress, so you’ll need to find what works for you. Here are a few examples of ways you can calm down and destress.
- Brew a cup of tea. An easy way to manage stress is with a nice, hot beverage. Tea has long been proven to provide health benefits. For those wanting to relax, the amino acid L-theanine is believed to be responsible for tea’s relaxing properties.
- Practice deep breathing. When you experience stress, your body goes into a fight-or-flight mode. With this feeling comes accelerated heart rate and shallow breathing. Practicing deep breathing techniques helps to trigger the parasympathetic nervous system and control relaxation.
- Light a scented candle. Certain scents like lavender, peppermint and lemongrass can create a soothing atmosphere and help us feel more relaxed. Light a candle with one of these scents and feel your stress start to melt away. Combine this with a cup of tea for the ultimate relaxation session.
- Try meditation. Meditation is practiced to help you train your focus and awareness so you can be mentally clear and emotionally stable. The best part is anyone can do it. It doesn’t cost anything, you don’t need special equipment, and you can do it anywhere. If you’d like to try it but aren’t sure where to start, the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center has a page on guided meditation you can reference.
Experience Stress-Free Living at Monroe Village
These stress relieving tips are great for moments when you’re feeling the effects of stress, but it’s also helpful to find ways to prevent stress. At Monroe Village, we offer relaxing amenities for a stress-free environment.
- Day Spa. When you want total relaxation, a trip to our onsite spa is due. Enjoy a full-body massage in a quiet, calming room to restore both your mind and body.
- Creative Workshop. The Monroe Village creative workshop is the perfect place to explore new hobbies or refine long-established interests. Here you can unleash your creativity and sooth your mind with watercolor classes, birdhouse building and more.
- Fitness. Through our LivWell holistic wellness program, there are a multitude of physical fitness opportunities for you to explore in our community. Exercise on your own at our newly positioned fitness center, swim some laps in our heated indoor swimming pool or check out one of our many fitness classes.
- Beautiful Campus. Our extensive campus grounds are the perfect place for a relaxing walk, digging in the community garden, a lively game of shuffleboard with a friend and more.
- Library. Our senior community library is located conveniently on the campus for easy book borrowing. Grab a book or magazine, heat up a cup of your favorite tea and let your mind wander.
Ready to learn more about the relaxing amenities Monroe Village offers? Contact us today!