Active Aging WeekSeptember 21, 2018
Welcome to Active Aging Week! Since 2003, the International Council on Active Aging (ICAA) has celebrated aging and active living each year during the last full week of September to showcase the positivity of aging in the world today. Back for its 16th year, events are being held across the country to encourage fun, friendship, and positive perceptions of aging.
During this week, our continuing care retirement community is going to be showing how adults over the age of 50 can live happy, healthy lives physically, socially, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, vocationally, and environmentally through a series of engaging events. Here is how those seven dimensions of wellness impact your daily life:
- Physically. Live a healthy and active lifestyle that includes eating nutritious foods and maintaining regular exercise. Visit your local farmer’s market for some fresh leafy greens, and slide into the pool for a water aerobics class.
- Socially. Meet other members of your community and form new friendships. Especially if you’re new to our retirement community, building a strong support system will help you feel at home.
- Spiritually. Practice your spiritual beliefs, and we will support your needs. Your beliefs are important to us, therefore we will help connect you to activities and our on-site chaplain if needed.
- Emotionally. Feel content doing what you enjoy most. Take time for self-reflection and consider your emotional state. Are you happy? What makes you happy?
- Intellectually. Pick up a new hobby or read a good book. Learning should never stop and that is why we are going to encourage you to keep your brain healthy by introducing you to new ideas.
- Vocationally. Use your skills from a previous job or career to help others. If you used to work with computers, for instance, help other residents set up their new laptop or have a quick training class.
- Environmentally. Recycle with us! Or take class on flower arranging. Activities like this not only positively impact your life, but also the world around you.
Healthy Aging All Year Long at Monroe Village
Through our comprehensive, award-winning LivWell program, residents can enjoy free access to weekly events and activities, specifically designed to benefit them. Active Aging Week is just another great example of LivWell prioritizing resident’s wellness needs. The activities during Active Aging Week will go far beyond the traditional fitness classes and activities that seem typical of retirement communities. While a calendar of events will be released closer to the week-long campaign, let’s take a look at a few of our past events.
Starting the month of July, Monroe residents were transported to five countries where people live the longest, happiest, and healthiest lives. During our Wellness Around the World events, residents went to New Zealand because the country boasts more golf courses per capita than any other country. Then in August, residents enjoyed some friendly competition with a home run derby. This event celebrated Japan and its love of baseball. Many residents participated and we had a total of 24 home runs! Another Japan-inspired event was a Karaoke and Sake night. Then, earlier this September, we hopped over to Greece and brushed up on our ancient history and enjoyed a spirited virtual game of boxing on the Wii.
Living Life to the Fullest at Monroe Village
Get ready to feel refreshed and renewed by joining us for Active Aging Week this September! If any questions about Active Aging Week arise, please reach out to a member of our skilled staff.
Life at Monroe Village offers active and vibrant lifestyles, but don’t just take our word for it! Read testimonials from our residents or schedule a tour and come visit us! Experience our calendar of daily enriching activities and amenities designed to enhance your life. To learn more about our continuing care retirement community in Monroe Township, we invite you to contact us for more information.